Monday, February 23, 2009

Cleaning kids rooms

So, do you clean your kids rooms? I do. Yeah, I know they are supposed to learn responsibility and a whole bunch of other things but come on, eventually I can't stand it! I really feel the carpet needs to breath occasionally which it can't do suffocated with toys and dirty clothes. So when it reaches "that point" I just take care of it. There are benefits to cleaning your kids room though. They rarely notice when something dissapears like all the candy wrappers from their Valentines at school or the happy meal toy they haven't touched since getting out of the car. I usually end up with at least one bag of garbage! As they get older I figure it will give me opportunity to do a little snooping too. Yes, I'm also that kind of parent. Snooping is, in my opinion, a parent's responsibility and right. I own the house so I have access to all of it and the right to know exactly what's in it. Even the best of kids make really dumb choices and if I can be there to intervene and prevent jail time then I plan to do so. I guess that's what they call co-dependent - and what mother isn't? Something as simple as cleaning a room can also teach you things about your kid you didn't know. Like, which toy they said they liked at Christmas but clearly didn't because it is now shoved in the back of their closet unopened. Or why it is that they never seem to have clean underware when you look under the bed. Most importantly I've learned that it gets a little better with time (although I've yet to experience the teenage years). I can do my 10 year old's room in half the time it takes to clean my 7 year olds. It wasn't all that long ago that the 10 year old's room was just as bad. So there is hope. They won't save the Halloween eraser shaped, like a pumpkin and too small to even hold let alone erase something with, forever. They probably won't even notice it's gone. If you're lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment