Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Magic of a Diagnosis

Almost ten years. I've struggled, pressed, and insisted for some help. About a year ago now I finally reached a point of no return and flat out asked for medication. If there was to be no diagnosis let there at least be a means of peace in our home. You read and hear how over medicated our kids are today so it isn't a decision made lightly. There was almost nothing that I read that indicated medication was a good thing. And yet. There comes a point where you have to ignore what "everyone" is saying and trust your instinct. So after nearly a year of trial and error with four different medications we have finally settled on one that appears to be helping. In April I reached my lowest point when the new doctor we'd had recommended couldn't get us in for over three months. I literally fell apart. This was to be at least the sixth doctor we had consulted in nine years and I was beyond desperate. I knew though that a wait that long must indicate a popular and therefore, hopefully, very good doctor.

Then July finally arrived. I had my guard way up before the first appointment. There were about three or four things I wanted him to say or I wouldn't even consider taking Caden. Imagine my relief when we not only liked the doctor but he hit on all of our concerns before we ever had a chance to mention them! The following week was Caden's turn and it couldn't have gone any better. Caden walked out with a huge grin on his face and proclaimed he couldn't wait to go back! How many kids can't wait for their counseling appointments?! To top it off, we were finally given a diagnosis. Just having that weight lifted, being told by a professional and seeing it on paper was such a relief. As I've said before, I knew I wasn't crazy. I knew something was not right. And I knew that if I kept pushing I'd eventually get answers. We got them from a wonderful doctor who is on staff at local universities as well as a highly regarded children's hospital. His credentials are amazing. More importantly though, he is just a really nice guy who makes you feel like he really cares. Caden loves him. So, we now have names for the struggles we've had for years. We now know what is causing what and have goals to be working toward. We have medication to help. The absolute best part though is that for the first time ever, we have a really happy little boy! I can't even begin to tell you how it feels as a mom to know that your child is finally able to have a carefree childhood. To know that he isn't angry, hurting or struggling but just living the life a child should live.

So, today, life is good. We've had a good couple of months in fact! I just pray that this is the beginning of a whole new life for one great kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment